Flipped Classrooms - Exit Slip

I have a lot of experience both teaching in flipped classrooms, and developing video content for flipped classrooms. While completing my undergrad, I was involved as a TA and later a content developer for Computer Science 110, which was converted into a flipped classroom model in 2013 - the second time I TA'd it. I also worked creating all the video and online content for Computer Science 210, which the department intends to flip in the coming year. I think flipped classrooms have a lot of benefits, but also some drawbacks,

Firstly, I think it's important to acknowledge that while flipped classrooms have a lot to offer, they're definitely not ideal for every student. Succeeding in a flipped classroom requires students to be proactive and watch all the videos before class, or else they come to class lost, and have difficulty making use of class time and getting work done. They can catch up on the videos they missed while in class, but this negates the benefits of getting to work on problems during class with help from the instructor. Students that fall behind and end up catching up on videos during class time often find the whole flipped classroom concept to be useless, and feel like their teacher has been replaced by videos without any benefit. We definitely had some complaints along these lines in Computer Science 110.

However, for students that do engage with the material before class, the concept works incredibly well. Since students have the opportunity to work through problems with instructors present, and have time to absorb the content before class and ask good questions, students end up having a much deeper understanding of the material. If I compare when I took CPSC 110 in 2012 with a standard classroom setup, and last term I TAd it in 2015, the students in 2015 were completing much more difficult and complex assignments and demonstrating a much deeper understanding of the material. Anecdotally, I've also had many students tell me that they loved the videos, and watched them over and over as they worked through their assignments, following along with what was happening on screen.

While I love the ideas and possibilities involved in a flipped classroom, I think I'd be hesitant to flip it completely - I think some students benefit from the structure of the classroom, and receiving instruction from a teacher in real space. However, I think videos such as those from Khan Academy are excellent resources, and I would definitely make my students aware of them, and suggest they look there for extra help. I also think assigning videos for homework to introduce new concepts could help prime students for difficult lessons and increase their understanding as well as the efficiency of the classroom. I believe its important for teachers to be aware of new technologies and open to them. We have to remember that the way we learned is not how everyone learns best, and the world is changing all the time! What worked for students 10 years ago might not work today, and what works today might not work in 10 years.

Comments