Exit Slip - September 7, 2017

As we were discussing the controversial statements about math education, I started thinking about how much approaches to education have changed over the years to keep up with a rapidly changing world -- and how much they will certainly change throughout my career as a teacher. The sheer amount of information that each of us has access to and is exposed to every day is changing the landscape of the classroom and the workforce. Education can no longer be simply an exchange of information between teacher and student -- the information is now easily available with the click of a button. Education must offer something deeper, and this inquiry based approach seems like an excellent way to think about how education should look in the modern world.

I'm looking forward to spending time in this class thinking about this idea of inquiry and how an educational approach focusing on inquiry will help students succeed as the world rapidly changes. In my two teachable subjects, Math and English, I can see different ways that inquiry will play a role. Inquiry and mathematics fit together naturally for me. I see math as being about asking questions and working through problems to solve them. It's about knowing certain truths and building from that to discover more. Furthermore, math is everywhere, and therefore it's a great entrance point to investigate questions in many different disciplines. In English, I can imagine using a technique of inquiry to investigate big ideas through the books (or other forms of literature) I'll be teaching. A book can be a window into anything, and hopefully the books I teach can inspire my students to ask questions they had never previously thought about.

Comments