Tact in Teaching - Entrance Slip

The first quote that struck me in Max Van Manen's article was: "The thinking on or about the experience of teaching and the thinking in the experience of teaching seem to be differently structured."(7) I think this quote really highlights the difficulty in learning how to teach. Concepts that seem to make sense in theory might present themselves entirely differently in practice. I've been finding this with the two students I tutor. Since I've started this program, I've been trying apply some of the things I'm learning while working with my students. I keep finding that when I put these ideas into practice, there are difficulties I haven't anticipated. As well, I've found that it's difficult to think in the moment about the theories I'm trying to put into practice. I find myself falling back on my natural instincts that I've developed from past tutoring and teaching experience. I can only imagine this balancing act between theory and instinct becomes even more complex in a classroom of 30 students.

The second quote I chose is: "The interesting thing about tact is precisely that it is insensitive to traditional theory-practice distinctions"(15). I found this quote, and this whole idea, simultaneously incredibly interesting and hard to wrap my head around. Van Manen describes tact as neither theory, nor practice, nor some mediator between the two, but rather a third thing entirely. My understanding of it is as a kind of instinct as I mentioned above, but a curated, informed instinct - something more intentional than simple experience. It seems to arise from both theory and practice mixed in with less tangible qualities that draw a person to education. It seems this tact is cultivated through careful thought, experience, and self-evaluation of where one's instincts are correct and where they could be refined.

The final quote I chose comes from the conclusion of the article: "The ultimate success of teaching actually may rely importantly on the 'knowledge' forms that inhere in practical actions, in an embodied thoughtfulness, and in the personal space, mood and relational atmosphere in which teachers find themselves with their students" (21). This seems to line up with how I came to understand Van Manen's idea of tact as I read through the article. I think I agree with this conclusion - if I reflect back on my favourite teachers, it is difficult to explain why they were so good using theory. Rather, they seemed to have an innate sense of how to teach, what each student needed, and how to address those needs. However, I think this tact, or wisdom, is something that comes with time. By observing masterful teachers, paying attention, taking risks and taking note of what works and what doesn't, eventually my own instincts will hopefully evolve to resemble this tact and wisdom that Van Manen speaks about.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written ideas! I love the sense of 'curated instinct'. Thanks Erika!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment