Exit Slip - UBC Orchard Garden

I had an absolutely lovely time in the Garden this morning. I think we as a society (myself included) tend to underemphasize the value of just being in nature, and paying attention to our environment and our place in it. Spending time in the garden, drawing, braiding and just appreciating the space was a simultaneously relaxing and energizing experience.

I loved the idea of doing problem solving outside in the garden. Especially if problems were created that related to the garden - either with the garden as the setting of the problem, or using the garden as a tool to solve the problem. I also love the idea of doing hands on mathematics in the garden - similar to the braid we created together. Doing some kind of garden-based mathematical craft or activity, and then investigating the mathematics behind that activity could integrate math curriculum into the outdoor space.

I can think of lots of math topics that could be worked into the space of the garden. There could be activities about measurement, looking at the volumes of different planters or watering cans, or the distances between different parts of the garden. We could talk about angles, looking at the position of the sun and which plants will get sun (for what amounts of time) at different parts of the year. You could look at probabilities using different leaves as props (similar to picking a card from a deck). And I'm sure with more thought I could find ways to incorporate other, more theoretical, topics into garden-based activities.

It was great being in the garden this morning, and I hope that in my practicum or in a future job I get to work in a school that has a similarly wonderful space for learning and reflection!

Comments

  1. Fascinating blog post, Erika! I like your innovative ideas for math in the garden. (Want to help lead a Saturday workshop at n that topic sometime this year? The Orchard Garden gives us a place to experiment with such things!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment